Mission Statement

The Rant's mission is to offer information that is useful in business administration, economics, finance, accounting, and everyday life.

Friday, April 29, 2016

Day Thirty of The Thirty Day Proactive Test

Location: Missouri Baptist Hospital - St. Louis, Missouri

12:11 PM

This is Day Thirty of The Thirty Day Proactive Test and I am reporting from Missouri Baptist Hospital in Saint Louis, Missouri. That is right. I am in the hospital again.

So my advice to you, the reader, is do not do the 30 day proactive test or follow any of Stephen R. Covey's evil teachings. He is Lucifer in human form! I tried his thirty day proactve test and look what happened to me! It almost killed me!

Just joking.  I am in the hospital again getting treated for a pretty nasty infection, but it is not Stephen R. Covey's fault, and I did his thirty day proactive test and this is the final day. I was having tons of health problems when I started the 30 day proactive test. That is one of the reasons I picked up and started to read his book The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People.

The book had been sitting on my bookshelf for five years collecting dust. My life had become very shitty. My health was bad. My relationship with my family was bad. I wanted a change. So, I thought a good self-help book might be in order. I heard a lot of great things about the book. It was recommended to me by one of my college professors years back. So I promptly went out and bought it, put it on my bookshelf, then let it collect dust for five years.

3:07 PM

I just got done with physical therapy. I am laying in bed as I write this, so the therapy guys came to get me out of bed and moving around a bit. I did. It felt good. I got a big shot of dilaudid. I got up. I shaved and brushed my teeth. Because of the sore on my ass, they did not want me up that long, so I went back to bed after that. However, it felt good to get up, stretch my muscles, get a shave, brush my teeth, and have a little human contact with young friendly therapists. 

When I got back in bed, I was tired and sore, so I just relaxed and did some deep breathing exercises for about twenty minutes, until the lady came in to take my vital signs. Then, I began writing again, because this is the last day of this 30 day journalistic endeavor, and I did miss the last three days of blog entries. I want to wrap things up with a nice tidy ending for all of my loyal readers, and for myself. It feels good to complete things we started.

In all fairness to me, I was sick as a dog. I have been in the hospital the last couple days, and I just got my Chromebook today. My mom brought it. I have been talking with her and my aunt a little to ask for favors and stuff. So, I guess things are a little better on the family front, but aside from those two, I am pretty leery.

So if this is an analysis of the effectiveness of The Thirty Day Proactive Test, I would give it a positive review. Thirty days ago this is what I posted on my blog:

'My life has been shit lately. I want to change. So I started reading The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey. I have also been talking a lot about my problems with a a few friends and associates who are also discontent. So we decided to adopt a teaching from Covey's book. We agreed that for the month of April, we would try the 30 day Test of Proactivity, being aware of the change in our circle of influence. And, that we would keep a blog of our progress with the intent being to remind us of our goal on a regular basis by posting it in a nice open public place where we would see it every day. "

Now those other two guys, I have absolutely no idea if they kept it up or not to be honest. I was way too busy focusing on myself and dealing with my various issues to keep track of them.

You may be asking, "'What the fuck is a thirty day proactive test?"This is what I posted on Days 5 and 7:


Proactivity Defined


The word proactivity is fairly common with management types nowadays, It means more than taking initiative. It means we are responsible for our own lives. Highly proactive people do not blame circumstances, conditions or conditioning for their behavior.

We are by nature proactive. If we are controlled by conditioning and conditions it is because we have by conscious decision or by default, chosen to give power to those things.

in making such a choice, we become reactive.


Proactivity - The 30 Day Test

Test the principal of proactivity for thirty days. Keep small commitments you have made. Be a light, a model and part of the solution.

I also discovered some exercises at the end of chapter 1 that I overlooked before. So that should provide some blog-fodder for the next couple days or so.

So that is what I did. My life was getting pretty shitty both health-wise and with my interpersonal relationships so I started reading Seven Habits to try to change things

I accepted Covey's challenge to do a thirty day test of proactivity and I tried to keep track of my daily progress by making blog entries every day. I missed a handful of days and I reverted back to reactive behavior from time to time but for the most part, I kept my commitment and even though I am back in the hospital and my relationship with my family is still pretty sketchy, I have learned a lot about myself, about being proactive, about what being proactive even means.

In essence, I would have to give the 30 day proactivity test a positive review, if you take it seriously and actually put some work into it. though my life is far from perfect, I have a clearer image of where I want to go in life and a little better of an understanding of how to get there.

So even though this is the end of the thirty day proactivity test, The Rant goes on. I plan to continue my in-depth analysis of The Seven Habits and doing all the exercises and stuff he recommends and charting my progress on this blog. So feel free to keep coming back to check on my progress or troll me with snarkey comments, whatever floats your boat.

Have a proactive day!

P.art of The 30 Day Proactive Test is that last part that says be aware of changes in your Circle of influence. 

You may be asking yourself right now, "What the hell is a Circle of Influence?" That was exactly how I was as well up until about 1 month ago when I read The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey


end

No comments:

Post a Comment

Accounting: The Language of Business - Vol. 2 (Intermediate: Part 145)

2 Corinthians 8:21 "Money should be handled in such a way that is defensible against any accusation" Short-Term Operating Assets: ...