Mission Statement

The Rant's mission is to offer information that is useful in business administration, economics, finance, accounting, and everyday life.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Day Twenty-One of The Thirty Day Proactive Test

The Personal Mission Statement

So I began work on my personal mission statement as espoused by Stephen R. Covey in his book The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. The second of these seven habits is "begin with the end in mind." This 2nd Habit has a lot to do with visualization. So this is where the whole mission statement idea comes into play.
So I began work on my mission statement today by going through a chart in Covey's book, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People - "Appendix A" showing different centers (self-centered, spouse-centered, work-centered, etc.), and circling all those I identify with. The intent of this exercise is to answer the question,
"Do they form a pattern for the behavior in your life?" 

Yes they do. Right away, I noticed I am a pleasure centered person. I circled almost all the stuff for pleasure-centered people. Ironically (or perhaps not), I am very work-centered. I found that I circled a lot of stuff for work-centered people as well. Coming in third, I circled a lot of money-centered stuff. I am not, nor ever was wealthy by any stretch of the imagination. That is probably why I am so money-centered. Like most poor people, I have this notion, even though I know deep down inside it is total bullshit, that money will somehow solve all my problems. Covey then goes on to ask, as part of this exercise, "Are you comfortable with the implications of your analysis."

No, I am not.

So here are some of the things I circled under being money centered. I see money as a source of security and fulfillment. I see work only as necessary to the acquisition of money.

I guess I am a pretty evil guy, because under possession-centered, I only circled one thing. I view family as a possession to use, control, dominate, smother and control, or as a showcase.

As far as being pleasure centered, I circled just about everything. As far as spouse is viewed for pleasure-centered people, I was only married for a couple years in my early twenties. She was a nice enough lady, but i just viewed her as a companion in my fun and pleasure or an obstacle to it. I just see family as a vehicle or interference in my perpetual pursuit of pleasure.

As far as money goes, I just see it as a means to increase opportunities for pleasure. As far as work goes, it is just an "end to a means," unless it is fun. I guess that is why being work-centered is a "close second" with me. Possessions are just objects of fun to me, and means to more fun.

I am not bragging or trying to make light of the situation. I am just trying to be honest with myself and readers of this blog so that I can move onward and upward, as it were.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Accounting: The Language of Business - Vol. 2 (Intermediate: Part 145)

2 Corinthians 8:21 "Money should be handled in such a way that is defensible against any accusation" Short-Term Operating Assets: ...