Mission Statement

The Rant's mission is to offer information that is useful in business administration, economics, finance, accounting, and everyday life.

Monday, May 16, 2016

Day 48 of Thirty Day Proactive Test

6:56 AM


We are in the middle of May.

 It is Monday morning. 


This is Day forty-eight of The Thirty Day Proactive Test. I am Charles Lamson and this is my tale.

As mentioned in an earlier blog, I just finished reading 7 Habits. I made a very proactive choice for my next book to read. It is an old business/management text book. It is called Organizational Behavior. It is all about the study of behavior within organizations for business and manager types. I am actually enjoying it. I find it interesting.


I still have a lot of my old college textbooks. I always kept them because they were so expensive and they were interesting too and I never really read any of them all the way through because in class I would just glean whatever information I needed from the books then leave them mostly unread.

It just seemed like such a waste. So I decided to just keep them and one day when the time is right read them. So that is what I am doing. And I am enjoying these non-fiction books. It is fun reading about non-fictional real life stuff. I have always been an avid reader, but mostly science fiction and detective novels.


Continuing with my in-depth analysis of The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey, Today I am moving on from Habit 3 (put first things first) to Habit 4 (think Win/Win).

HABIT 4 OF THE 7 HABITS OF HIGHLY EFFECTIVE PEOPLE 

THINK WIN-WIN

Think Win-Win is not about being nice. It is not a quick-fix technique. It is a code for human interaction and collaboration that is character-based.

Comparison and competition is how most of us learn to base our self-worth. Too often, people only think about succeeding in terms of someone else failing, because people are petty jealous and sadistic assholes.

Win-Win focuses more on cooperation as opposed to competition. It is a frame of mind that constantly seeks mutual benefit in all human interactions.

There are three vital character traits that win-win people possess:
  1. Integrity: sticking with your true feelings, values, and commitments
  2. Maturity: expressing your ideas and feelings with courage and consideration for the ideas and feelings of others
  3. Abundance Mentality: believing there is plenty for everyone

Application Suggestions 

1. Think about an upcoming interaction wherein you will be attempting to reach an agreement or negotiate a solution.. Commit to maintain a balance between courage or consideration.

2. Make a list of obstacles  that keep you from applying the Win/Win paradigm more often. Determine what could be done within your Circle of Influence to eliminate some of those obstacles.

Well one obvious obstacle I have that keeps me from applying the Win/Win paradigm more often is that I do not really have a clear idea what the Win/Win paradigm is all about. I guess I did not retain much of what I read in that chapter, One thing I can do that is in my Circle of Influence is, for the next couple days, I plan to go back and focus on that chapter 4, reporting my findings in this blog, doing an analysis of Habit 4 and Chapter 4 of The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People.


6 Paradigms of Human Interaction

1. Win/Win
2. Win/Lose
3. Lose/Win
4. Lose/Lose
5. Win
6. Win//Win or No Deal

Win/Win: A frame of mind and heart that always seeks mutual benefit in all human interactions.

Win/Lose: One alterrntive to Win/Win is Win/Lose, the paradigm that says, "If I win, you lose."

Lose/Win: Some people are programmed the other way
"I lose. You win."
"Go ahead. Have your way with me."
"Step on me again. Everyone does."
"I am a loser. I have always been a loser."
Lose/Win is worse than Win/Lose because it has no standards, no demands, no expectations, no vision.

Lose/Lose: When two Win/Lose people get together, two determined, stubborn, ego-invested individuals, the result will be Lose/Lose. Both will lose. Both will become vindictive and want to exact revenge and/or justice.

Win: Another common alternative is simply to think Win. People with the Win mentality do not necessarily want someone else to lose. That is irrelevant. What matters is that they get what they want.

Win/Win or No Deal: No Deal basically means that if we cannot find a solution that is agreeable to both, we agree to disagree, agreeably.

Five Dimensions of Win/Win

Win/Win is the habit of interpersonal leadership. Effective interpersonal leadership requires the vision, the proactive initiative and the security, guidance, wisdom and power that comes from principle-centered personal leadership.

1. Character

Character is the foundation of Win/Win. Everything else builds on that foundation.

2. Relationships

From the foundation of character, we build and maintain Win/Win relationships.

3. Agreements

From relationships flow the agreements that give definition and direction to Win/Win.

4. Win/Win Management Training.

5. Win/Win Performance Agreements (to be continued)...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Accounting: The Language of Business - Vol. 2 (Intermediate: Part 145)

2 Corinthians 8:21 "Money should be handled in such a way that is defensible against any accusation" Short-Term Operating Assets: ...