Mission Statement

The Rant's mission is to offer information that is useful in business administration, economics, finance, accounting, and everyday life.

Monday, May 2, 2016

Day Thirty-Three of The Thirty Day Proactive Test

Day 33


Introduction

2:12 PM

Hello everyone. It is Monday, the thirty-third day of The Thirty Day Proactive Test. I am still in the hospital. I am in this hospital.
It is called Missouri Baptist Health Center.

A 489-bed, acute-care community medical center consistently ranked as a top Missouri hospital for cardiac surgery and cardiac care and ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of the top hospitals in the region. Missouri Baptist is a member of Heartland Cancer Research, one of 40 consortia granted the prestigious Community Oncology Research Organization (NCORP) designation by the National Cancer Institute. MoBap's Childbirth Center also prides itself on its support of personalized birth plans for parents-to-be.



Since this is the 33rd day of The Thirty Day Proactive Test and one of the reasons I began this journalistic quest of self-discovery to begin with was my recurring health problems, I decided to be proactive, take the bull by the horns and get educated about these medical issues that keep plaguing me. So, in the spirit of Habit 3 (take first things first), I asked the nurse this morning if there was a place I could go to online to get a hold of my medical  information. Well lo and behold, there is! It is called myBJC.org (Missouri Baptist is part of a group of hospitals called BJC). I am going there right now so I can register and have a peak at my records.


myBJC

Use myBJC for:

Helpful information about testing, health topics, news and more.
Secure 24/7 access to test results.
Secure email correspondence with your healthcare provider.

Alright, so I registered at myBJC.org and already it says I have 25 new medical reports. Let us have a look, shall we?

Looking at the first report, it seems they are just analyzing blood test results. They take my blood every day. I was kind of wondering what they did with that. Anyway, in this first report they seem to be checking the Vancomycin levels in my blood. Vancomycin is one of the IV antibiotics they are using for my kidney infection.


Vancomycin: At A Glance


Why Get Tested?

To measure and monitor the level of vancomycin in your blood
Then the second report just seems to be a general breakdown of what is in my blood, such as potassium, glucose, sodium, etc. There are little notes on the bottom. They seem to indicate everything is fine and dandy.

The third report is my blood cell count or morphologic report. It is a little alarming. Some of the things are highlighted and marked as either high or low. I guess this is reflective of all the infection and stuff floating around in my body. However, it looks like its one of the earliest reports and a little note on the bottom says revisions have been made to it since.

Anyway, this thing is pretty cool. I just took a look at my urine culture report. It has a list of all the antibiotics my kidney infection is resistant to, and here it lists vancomycin as one drug the infection is susceptible to.

They have records on me going all the way back to 2009. Interesting. This could be a valuable tool in my future proactive healthcare program.



Summary

7:44 PM

In about fifteen minutes, I can get another awesome shot of dilaudid and go into a blessed chemically-induced state of nirvana. I could use it. I have been somewhat sparing on the pain drugs. Sometimes, just letting myself feel the pain can be somewhat refreshing. To an extent. Everything in moderation. Staying in a perpetual state of zombification gets kind of dull sometimes.

Despite being in the hospital, I am satisfied with the level of proactivity I exhibited today. It just goes to show that proactivity is something that goes beyond money, possessions, social  status and all that external bullshit. You can literally live alone in a van down by the river, but if you were proactive that day, you can achieve a certain level of satisfaction and peace that is hard to describe in words.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Accounting: The Language of Business - Vol. 2 (Intermediate: Part 145)

2 Corinthians 8:21 "Money should be handled in such a way that is defensible against any accusation" Short-Term Operating Assets: ...